Healthy, Flavor Packed One-Pot Meal: Chicken Tikka Masala
I know for most of us we have spent a significant amount of time at home in the recent months. My husband I both do a bulk of our work from home now, and we are in front of the computer working for much of our day. Even though we are working from home, we are busier than we ever have been! That is a blessing in these crazy times. With our hectic schedules we try to keep a good routine of working out and eating healthy, but we are far from perfect when it comes to that! So, any time we can create a simple, healthy, and quick dinner I am so there!
Today I want to share one of our favorite healthy, and extremely flavorful dishes we like to create: Chicken Tikka Masala. This dish is fantastic for several reasons. One, it is done in a crock pot, or Instapot if you have one, so very little dishes and no "baby sitting" the meal. Two, it has a fantastic flavor profile so even though it is a nice healthy dish to serve to your family, they will not even blink an eye or miss any of those beloved carbs we all go for! Three, it can be served with any side. We enjoy it with rice (white or brown, your choice), Couscous, or a bed of oven roasted veggies.
The highlights to this dish are the unique seasonings involved. The main kick comes from the Garam Masala. This is a spice blend you can find in most grocery stores that contains spices including coriander, black pepper, cumin, cardamom, and cinnamon. The other flavor that I particularly enjoy is a touch of coconut milk. It adds a lovely creamy back flavor that is very subtle on the palate.
I like to get this going in the morning before work and cook it on low all day. Your house will smell amazing by the way. If you get off work early afternoon, you can use the high setting on your cooker to get it done in about 2-3 hours instead. The flavors are much richer, and the chicken is super tender the longer you let it cook.
Enjoy this lovely dish, and there will be more of these easy, healthy, one-pot meal recipes to come!
Chicken Tikka Masala Cook Time: 2-3 hours on high/ 5-6 hours on low
· 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
· 1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
· 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and finely diced
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or tomato puree (do not use tomato sauce)
· 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
· 1/2 lemon, juiced (about 1-2 tablespoons)
· 1 tablespoon Garam Masala
· 1 teaspoon paprika
· 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
· 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
· 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
· 1/2 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
· 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
· 1 & 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
· 1 cup coconut milk
· 3 tablespoons Butter
· 1/2 cup heavy cream
· Additional salt, garlic powder, and onion powder, to taste
· Optional for garnish: Tzatziki & cilantro
· Serve with white or brown rice, couscous or assorted roasted veggies
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in onion, jalapeno and garlic; saute for about 5 minutes or until onions are slightly golden and translucent. Transfer to a large slow cooker.
2. Next add in tomato puree, ginger, lemon juice, Garam Masala, paprika, cayenne pepper, turmeric, curry powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder to the slow cooker; stir to combine.
3. Add chicken breasts and spoon sauce over the chicken to make sure they are covered. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
4. Once cooked, remove chicken with a slotted spoon and transfer to a cutting board. Shred the chicken with two forks, then transfer back to the slow cooker.
5. Stir in coconut milk, butter, and heavy cream and allow to cook on high UNCOVERED for 15-20 more minutes to help thicken the sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary, including adding more salt, if desired.
6. Serve with a side dish if desired. Garnish with tzatziki and chopped cilantro.